sharing the possibilities with SCS teachers

Monday, February 9, 2009

What is web 2.0?

I had a conversation with a teacher from ACS (where Craig Fisher is the Head of School) at the TCEA conference in Austin. She asked, "how much does it cost, where can I get it, and what does it do?" Well, that is a pretty ridiculous question to someone like me that is really interested in the range of available web 2.0 apps (applications). I realized that is the first hurdle for teachers - what is web 2.0? She went on to say things like, "Do I get it from my internet provider?, I just now am able to work the web 1.0 and now they expect me to learn a new internet?" Web 2.0 is not a new, updated version of the internet - well, maybe in a sense. When we first started "surfing" (that term is old school now) - we were forced to view information that only the programmers could have delivered to us. You had to be a computer professional to create a web page, or take a primer in html to create something that other people could view. We were strictly consumers, we would shop online, get directions, check show times, and purchase cheaper plane tickets. Now, with the advancement of web 2.0 applications - we become providers, we sell, we make maps for others, we are our own travel agents, and write for all the world to see. Anyone can and millions do, create content for others. In short, web 2.0 is the user-created web. Check out this video - it captures the essence of the web 2.0...and has been viewed almost 8 million times on youtube.

0 comments: